Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mom and Daughter Time

Skye wanted to come to the barn with me yesterday, so we had a little Mommy and daughter time. The weather was actually cooperating for once. I gave Lola another medicated bath, hoping to finally see the end of the rain rot. I was a little disappointed that Skye took off to play in the yard and didn’t want to help with Lola’s bath at all, but at least she seemed to be having fun.

I finished the bath, put away the hose, and asked Skye if she wanted to stay or go. She said she wanted to stay a little longer, so I brought Lola into the driveway to do a little ground work. Grass was all Lola seemed able to think about! It was difficult working with her, but eventually she started to listen. Skye came over and said “Mommy, you are playing the Friendly Game with Lola.” I was so proud! She knows the first four Parelli games and how to play them! Very cool! Yesterday, I really taught her some details of the game. She learned about the four phases of asking for something, and about staying in position. She also learned to use her body position and expressions to help communicate with the horse. Really cool for me to watch!

In the last bit of Parelli DVD I had been watching, they showed how to tap each hoof to get the horse to move that hoof. I had never tried it with Lola before, but we tried it yesterday and it just worked, first try! Skylar thought that was very cool, and so did I!

One of the other things I saw in the DVD and hadn’t realized was how Linda puts her arm over the horse’s neck to tie the halter on. I always had my arm underneath the horse’s neck, and it makes it SO much easier to have your arm over the neck, and it gives you much more control. I was happy to learn that technique.

I’m really trying to follow the Level 1 course as closely as I can. I’ve done quite a bit of this stuff before, but I’m finding a lot of methods and details in the course that I didn’t know before. I am doing games that I haven’t officially gotten to in my study guides, but I’m also trying not to rush. I realized this weekend in some reading I was doing that I need to do some work on my Friendly game with Lola. She still doesn’t accept me touching her nose, or her mouth, and according to the study guides, I should be able to play Friendly game everywhere before moving on, so I really want to do some work on that. I’m hoping to get a night at the barn this week, and I’m just going to take some time and really work on that.

We are off the White Mountains this weekend, so no barn time, but hopefully I should be able to get in a couple of barn visits this week before we go. I still sometimes feel guilty for not getting up to the barn enough, but Lola is learning, and she seems quite happy. She’s out all the time, she’s not restless, and really her big job right now is to finish growing, and she can do that just fine without me.

I also feel guilty about dragging the kids to the barn sometimes. More often than not, when I suggest going there, they don’t want to go, and it makes me feel bad for dragging them up there, but once they get there, they almost always find something to do and have a great time. I wish I could let go of some of my guilt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home