Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Riding!

Went to the barn last night, and actually rode! It had been much too long. I was excited to discover that Holly (Belgian mare) is really comfortable to ride. I wasn’t sure what to expect because I’ve never ridden a horse that broad before, but she was great.

I got to the barn, fed Lola a treat, and then put Holly in a stall so I could tack her up. Lola had no idea what was going on! She kept putting her head over the stall and watching me. She paced back and forth in front of the stall. I guess she has bonded to me more than I realized!

So I had a good time with Holly. Tacked her up, and headed to the indoor ring. She was a bit nervous in there, but we worked through it. I lunged her for just a quick little bit to get her used to being indoors, and then I got on. It probably took me 15 minutes just to get my stirrups comfortable! She’s a very W I D E animal. Once I got the stirrups right, it was actually a very comfortable ride. Her trot was nice and smooth, and I got used to her size very quickly. I have to say that riding these big, drafty horses is a really nice change from riding skinny thoroughbreds. I hope Lola ends up being nice and comfy.

I did some circles in the indoor, trotted a little bit, and got bored. I was going to take Holly on the little circle in the woods behind Sarah’s house, but it was really muddy and I was afraid it was going to be too slippery. We walked to the edge of the woods and gave up. I walked her up to the front of the property and did a couple of circles and a little trotting in the outdoor ring. It was raining, but it was a warm rain and it was actually really refreshing.

I let Holly graze a little bit, brushed her off, and put all her stuff away.

Lola was ready for me to give her some attention. I groomed her, toweled her off, and put more rain rot medicine on her. I’m going to be SO thankful when this rain rot is finally gone. I definitely think it is getting better, but it is a slow process. I fixed her stall up for her and got her some hay. I left her in for the night so she would stay dry. I didn’t really get a chance to work with her very much.

If only there were another few hours in every day. I’d be more exhausted than I am now, but there are lots of things in my life that could use the extra attention, the horse, the kids, the husband, the house cleaning, etc. and not necessarily in that order!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home