Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Grass and Angel Food Cake

Some very important lessons were learned today. First of all, Lola is OBSESSED with grass. I could barely work with her today. There is grass growing around the ring and she can't seem to focus on anything else. About half the time I spent in the ring with her today was trying to teach her she can't graze all the time.

I also learned that she likes a few bites of Angel food cake, but that'’s it. She actually turned it down after her first couple of bites that she devoured. I guess she wanted to eat her cake and have it too.

Spent some time hanging out in the pasture with her and her buddies today. I brought the clippers with me and just kind of wandered around the pasture with them running. Lola actually came over to sniff them a couple of times, so I turned them off and walked away. She's fine with me touching her body with the running clippers, but she gets nervous as soon as I move towards her neck.

Grooming today was great. I just got her brushes and went into her stall and she wandered in and stood around while I groomed her. No halter, open stall door. She chose to be with me which I thought was pretty cool.

The grass eating was a real pain in the neck today. I did try a new game today, friendly game with a bareback pad. She acted like I put one on her every day. Tightened up the girth, no reaction. I left it on her the whole time I worked with her today.

When I could take her mind off the grass for a couple of seconds, we had some very responsive porcupine game, and I was getting her front end to move better than ever. Our driving game was also really good and I was even able to drive her front end from both sides for the first time. It wasn'’t perfect, but it was a HUGE improvement.

Added the Yo-Yo game today as well. She was fine with it. We tried that a couple of times. I don'’t think she's going to have many problems with that game.

Ended the afternoon with a walk down the street. She was busy trying to eat everything in sight. When she realized that she wasn't going to get away with it, she started spooking at cars instead. How nice. We had to do some circles on the side of the road, and a backed her up a couple of times to get her thinking again.

I always let her graze a bit when I'’m done working with her, but decided it was for the best if I didn't today. I hated not letting her graze, but I need her to learn there is a time to work and a time to graze. I'm hoping it will be a lesson she learns quickly. She did get plenty of carrots, some bread, and the angel food cake she wasn'’t sure about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home