Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Beauty Day!

Big day for Lola today, she had her teeth floated this morning, and I gave her a bath. The teeth floating went well. Boy howdy, that vet had a lot of equipment! It was a little sad to see Lola drugged up and vulnerable, but she was very snuggly ;-) and she snapped out of it pretty quickly. As soon as she started asking to get out of her stall, I let her out and she was fine. By the time I got back to the barn this afternoon, she was acting totally normally.

The vet mentioned she has a slight heart murmur. She said it is usually no big deal, just something I should be aware of. I hope it isn't a big deal.

Went back to the barn this afternoon and gave Lola her first bath by me. She wasn’t impressed, but since I let her eat grass, she tolerated it. Trying to get the white parts clean is a challenge! I trimmed all the feathers off her feet. I’ve been debating doing it for a couple of weeks, I kind of hated to, but they were so muddy and nasty, and I just don’t believe it can be good for her to have all that wet hair around her ankles. I also used scissors and trimmed a bridle path for her while she was recovering from the teeth floating.

I tried to play some games with her, but the flies were terrible and she was cranky. She did model her new Rhythm Beads! It’s this cool bead horse necklace with bells and a little clip to attach them to her mane. It’s so cool to have the bells jingling as she walks. We took a walk down the street with her new necklace on. She was pretty nervous. She kept turning towards home, so I’d turn her back around and keep walking. As soon as she went a few steps without turning around, I asked her to turn and we headed back to the barn. She did quite a bit of prancing when a car went by.

I pulled out my clippers again today and ran them for a bit. She was pretty nervous about them, so I didn’t push it. More grazing, and we called it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home