Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Lucky Me!

I’m so lucky to have found this horse! There can't be many two year old horses in this world as tolerant of a 6 year old little girl as Lola is.

Skylar and I went to the barn together today and had such a great time. I groomed Lola in her stall a little when we got there, while Skye hung out and played her video game in the tack room. When I was done, Skye and I took Lola down to the indoor ring to do a little playing. We had so much fun! Skye is not only learning the Parelli games, but she is learning the theories behind them, and the correct way to do them, using very gentle phases to ask for the horse to do something, and then upping the phases if the horse doesn’t respond, and releasing right away when the horse does respond. It’s so much fun to be teaching her this stuff.

We also did some really silly stuff today that Skye loved. We let Lola loose in the indoor, and started throwing things around, marching, singing, yelling, jumping, banging a trash can cover, swinging whips, etc. We were working on acclimating Lola to all kinds of noises. Skylar and I were just laughing and having so much fun. Lola watched us for a few minutes, and then walked away to sniff the edges of the arena for grass. Obviously our racket didn’t bother her! Great! Skye spent quite a bit of time walking around the arena with Lola, making her stop, making sure she didn’t get to close, and leading her over ground poles and a small cross rail. The two of them did great together! I did the first 5 games with Lola, including a little Circle game. I tried to do a Yo-Yo game over some ground poles, but it didn’t go that well. Lola was really trying, but she was a little nervous about it. She finally did it, and her hoof came down between the two poles. They were just plastic poles, nothing that could hurt her, but it scared her a little bit. I rewarded her for her effort, and then did a regular Yo-Yo game without the poles and that went fine. She’s such a sweet girl!

Skye walked her around outside and let her graze for a while, and we called it a day.

I ordered some supplements for Lola. She’s going to start on a fat supplement, a Vitamin E and Selinium supplement, Source Micronutrients, plus eventually hay pellets and regular hay. I’m hoping that will turn into a good healthy balance for her. Now I just have to work on making the switch nice and slowly. I think I’ll also buy a bag of alfalfa cubes and when I’m at the barn, I’ll give her some cubes and corn oil as a little extra treat. The added fat from the corn oil should be good for her.

I almost forgot to mention the highlight of the day… Skye went over to give Lola a big hug around her chest, and I came over and hugged Skye, so all three of us had a nice hug together. I was so amazed that Lola just stood there and actually seemed to enjoy. I know Skye and I enjoyed it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home