Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Barn Confusion

Friday, July 7, 2006

I’m so conflicted. I found a barn yesterday that I really like, but of course it is more than Sarah’s. They have a pasture board option, but as I thought about it, I’m not sure I want that. At Sarah’s, I do have a stall, I use it all the time to groom in, to confine her for treats, and she spent lots of time in her stall when we had the horrible rain this spring. What would I have done about her rain rot if I didn’t have a stall for her?

Tonight...

This barn conflict is driving me crazy. I’ve been emailing with Jackie, the owner of the new barn for a couple of days now, and I really like everything she has to say. I think this barn could be a really good fit for me, and for Lola. The woman seems very open-minded about all different kinds of riding styles, and she’s even studied some natural horsemanship. The only thing holding me back from jumping at this barn is money. It will be an extra $65 a month. Not the end of the world, but certainly enough that I’ll need to reorganize my finances a bit.

I’ve been stressing, and fretting about this decision for a couple of days now. I like this new barn owner’s attitude a lot. She has a 10 x 14 stall, right in the middle of the barn, nice and big and airy and rubber matts, there is a lighted riding ring, trails, a jump field, great turnout, and it is kid-friendly. Of course it is also very close to home which is a huge bonus. I think I’ve just got to go for it. I’ve already crafted a letter to the new barn owner, but I’ve decided not to send it until the morning so I can sleep on it one more night.

There are only 8 stalls in this barn, and I’m afraid if I lose this opportunity, there won’t be another opening for a while. I’ve been looking at barns for a couple of months now, many of them I was able to rule out without even seeing them, some I could quickly rule out when I visited, and two I actually liked pretty well, but they had waiting lists for stalls and no openings in the foreseeable future.

Barn confusion aside, Lola is doing really well. I’m pushing her a bit on the first three Parelli games and asking her to take more steps each time. Skylar has been working with her quite a bit and they are doing really well together. It’s so neat to see Skye learning the Parelli stuff and working with Lola. I hope one of these days I can get her into a lesson program, and even better, I can't wait for the day when she can ride Lola!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home