Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hoof trim time

The farrier came today to trim Lola’s feet. I have to admit I was a little nervous about how she would be after how terrible she was about her feet for the vet. The farrier seemed like a nice enough guy, but I got a little nervous when he said something like, Well, with these young ones you just need to give them a good whack and let them know you need them to stand still. Ugh.

Thankfully, he was very gentle and very patient with her and she did fine. She had a little trouble standing still, but with me standing on the opposite side of the farrier, and playing with her mouth, nose, ears, giving her the rope to chew on, tickling her nose with the leather on the end of the rope, anything I could think of to distract her, she did fine. She walked away a couple of times, I asked her to yield her hindend a little, or yield back and brought her back to the same spot to stand. I only had to do that two or three times.

After the farrier, I gave her lots of treats, groomed her a tiny bit, let her eat a little grass, and put her up. I hope having her teeth floated on Tuesday goes as smoothly and easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home