Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Gorgeous Weather and a Full Moon

No teeth floating again. I’m not sure what is up with the vet. She showed up this time, but she was over an hour late and she didn’t have enough time to float all the horses she was supposed to. Lola got the booster shots she needed, but she’s going to have to wait to have her teeth floated when the vet comes back to do another booster. Probably 3-4 weeks. Oh well.

Had an OK day on Tuesday. I was sad to lose the day of playing while waiting around for the vet, only to have her get two shots and that was that. Oh well. I did play with her a tiny bit while we were waiting for the vet, and at least I got to visit her and be outside.

Tonight was awesome. When I got to the barn it was about 70 degrees. Just gorgeous out. I went in to the pasture and just hung out for a few minutes. The horses all looked at me like I was crazy, except Lola. She came right over and started sniffing me. She hung out for a little bit and then left. I looked for her and found her hanging out in her stall. I went in, scratched her all over, and showed her the halter. She wasn’t ready and turned her head. Scratched her some more and played friendly with the halter and lead rope. Rubbed that rope and halter all over her, tummy, legs, butt, under her tail, face, ears, she couldn’t have cared less. Offered the halter to her to sniff again, and she sniffed, so I rubbed her head and neck with it again, and then slipped it on her. Took her up to the outdoor ring, stopping to let her nibble grass on the way. I tried to make sure it was my idea for her to have grass. I asked her to stop, asked her to lower her head and then let her eat. Went up to the ring and played lots of friendly game. Used the carrot stick all over her, and the Savvy string. Did some porcupine game. No trouble at all with moving her hind end, but still having some trouble with the front end. I know my position isn’t right, so I’m not going to force it until I get my Level 1 DVDs and figure out what I’m doing wrong. My Level 1 DVD set should be here in about a week. I can’t wait! I just packed Clara’s up to send it back to her. I didn’t want to pack it up though!

Walked Lola over a little tiny crossrail a few times. She is getting MUCH more careful with where she puts her feet. Nice to see! I ran around the ring and had her follow me on a loose lead. Tried leading her from both sides, lots more friendly game, more porcupine game with my fingers and the carrot stick..

Took her for a walk on the road, just a little ways in each direction because it was getting dark. She was a little nervous at first, but quickly dropped her head and relaxed. I saw a car coming as we were getting to the driveway, so I walked her in the driveway, faced Lola towards the street and waited for the car to pass. I patted her and it was a non-event. Excellent!

Let her graze her way back to her stall. Groomed her well, and cleaned her feet. NO trouble cleaning her feet at all today. I’m still not working on cleaning all four from one side, but we will get there soon I’m sure. I can groom her and clean her feet in her stall without her being tied, and she is pretty good about standing. If she does start to move, I can rub her and she’ll stop.

She looked amazing tonight. Her coat is coming in so shiny and beautiful. Her mane is getting really long and full. I just love that horse ;-) I love her face, and her attitude. She nuzzles me and snorts at me and I melt. I won’t have much barn time this weekend, we are going to have friends in town, but I’m hoping that Skye and I might make a trip to the barn on Sunday afternoon after they leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home