Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A wet one - lots of rain and a hyper horse

Interesting day today. It’s raining and has been pretty much since last night. I couldn’t really groom Lola much because she was just a big soggy mess. I played with her in her stall for a little bit, and then put her halter on to take her down to the indoor. I brought up some clippers today and showed those to her. She wasn’t very excited about them and wouldn’t really let me get near her when they were turned on. We have some work to do there.

Today was the first time she walked away from me and wasn’t very excited about being haltered. No treats before work today. She got a bit pushy last time I fed her treats, so I decided to work her first.

I walked her down to the indoor. She was hesitant about walking down the hill in the rain. It was a little slippery, but she did it. She walked into the indoor pretty calmly, but she thought about leaving as soon as we got in there. I had her circle around me a couple of times before I finally went back and shut the door. I left the door open a couple of inches since she seemed nervous about being closed itn.

She was really prancing around today and having a hard time focusing. She was listening to every raindrop hit the roof, and she could hear the horses walking around in the pasture. She was yielding her hind end very well today, she also walked over the little crossrail well today. She can be lazy about picking up her feet.

I actually put her on a longe line for a bit today because she was just so ready to go. I had to keep poking her away with the longe whip because she was right on top of me. For her first time every being longed, she did OK.

I tried doing some more work with her from the “off” side. She is SO one sided already. I hate it. I lead her around the ring from the “off” side, walked her over the little cross rail a couple of times, asked her to stop and back. The first time I switched sides and asked her to walk, she just looked at me like she didn’t understand, but then she figured it out.

The yo-yo game was terrible today. We never managed to get that. Every time I would stand in front of her to give her the signal to back, she would turn to the side and try to walk forward. I backed her from her chest and her nose several times.

She was very good about putting her head down for me. She still doesn’t want me touching her nose of mouth, but she is getting slightly more tolerant. I found a spot on the dock of her tail where she really likes to be scratched. She seemed very relaxed.

Other than never getting the yo-yo game today, and her definitely being on edge more than usual, we had an OK day. She is learning to yield pretty well. The front end still needs work, but I can consistently move her back end with just Phase 1.

There were definitely some moments today when I wondered what the heck I’m doing. She was being a little pushy and making me a little nervous. I’m definitely not as fearless as I used to be. Can I really train another baby? Do I have the confidence and skills to make this work? I guess I’m just going to have to make it work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home