Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Thoughts All Over The Place

Having Lola so close is kind of a mixed blessing. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome, but I’ve been to the barn every day this week, even if just for a quick visit. I don’t want to torture the kids with endless barn visits, but it is so hard not to stop by when the barn is so close. We’ve been spending a ton of time at the town pool, and it is just minutes from Lola’s new barn. It’s pretty hard not to take a detour by.

I’m getting a little antsy to ride, but I know Lola isn’t ready. I’m a little nervous about starting her under saddle. I’m excited, but I also know that I’m older, more out of shape, and not nearly as confident as I was last time I started a baby. Deep down I know I can do it, but I’m also very thankful to have Lola and not another crazy thoroughbred. I need to be patient and get our ground work as good as I can, but I also don't want to get stuck in a rut and have either me or Lola get bored.

Lola seems to be adjusting to her new home pretty well. I don’t think she is thrilled with being in a stall. Jackie said she can be a little pushy when it is time to be turned out. I hope she gets over that quickly. Part of me hates having her in a stall at all, but part of me is happy to know that she is protected a bit. I know when this winter comes and it is freezing cold and windy that I’m going to be thankful she has a warm barn to spend her nights in. I bet she'll be a bit more content in her stall at night once she starts going out in the big field with the other horses. That will probably tire her out more than just being out with the one other mare in the smaller field.

I think I may bring my saddle to the barn and start tacking her up a little. I’m not convinced she is ready, but it won’t hurt her to get used to the saddle. I have no plans to introduce a bridle for a while. I just don’t see a need. I think Woody was under saddle for at least a year, or close to it before I introduced a bridle. Parelli sells a beautiful bridle that I would love to get, but it is pretty expensive. I guess I’m going to need to start thinking about saving up some money for a new saddle in the not-so-distant future as well. There is a chance my current saddle may fit her now, but I know it won’t fit forever. Lola is going to be a big girl! There is a Wintec saddle with Cair (air panels) and an adjustable gullet that looks nice. I’d like to get to a tack store to check one out in person one day and see how comfortable it is for me. The air panels and adjustable gullet would be great because hopefully it will fit Lola for a while, even as she grows, if I can adjust it.

I was thinking today that last year as my birthday approached, I couldn’t really think of anything I wanted, other than a couple of books. This year, I could make a huge list! Should I start with the saddle, bridle, Parelli Level 2 kit? The thing that stinks is that there are practical things I need to that aren’t horse related. I desperately need a rain coat and have for years, but part of me thinks that if I’ve lived without one for this long…..

The family is taking a cruise in December, and I know I’m going to need clothes for that. The kids are going to need clothes for that too. Ok enough, I’m going to get myself all stressed about finances again, then I’m going to start wondering why I bought this horse, why I moved her to a more expensive barn, and how I’m going to pay for everything. Not going there tonight. Instead I think I’ll go online and check out some horse blankets. I know Lola is going to need one this winter and I thought I saw some on sale!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home