Horsey Thoughts

A journal of my training of my new almost two year old paint/percheron filly. Interspersed with time management issues, mommy stuff, and normal daily woes.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Sweet!

What a great morning! Yesterday was NOT a good day. The whole Hamilton family had a bad case of the grouchies. Everyone was complaining and fighting, myself included. We made a shopping trip to BJs and didn't buy anything. It was that bad! I wanted to spend a little time at the barn, working Lola and getting her cleaned up before her "big" move today. Well, that didn't really happen. Skye threw a tantrum, and as punishment we decided she couldn't go swimming with Dave and Luke, so I got her. Her punishment was a barn trip with me. Lucky me. I did a quick trip, quick grooming, gave Lola some treats, and cleaned out my stuff. I didn't have a chance to do any work with her, so I was slightly nervous about trailering her today.

I dropped the kids at camp, ended up chatting with the director and some teachers there, so I was running late, but I did manage to stop for a quick ice coffee, thank goodness! I function so much better with coffee.

Headed to the new barn, and was relieved to see the trailer hitched up and ready to go. It was a nice big trailer with lots of windows. It could be a 4 horse trailer, but it was set up with two nice big box stalls, couldn't be more perfect.

I met up with Jackie and her daughter, and off we went. We had a nice time chatting on the way. Jackie is a wonderful woman, and she and I seem to have a lot in common. I'm really excited about this new barn! We got to the old barn, and the circular driveway we were told we could use for a turn around was blocked by a car. I didn't really know the people who's house it was, but we needed to turn the trailer so.....

I rang the doorbell and a woman I had never seen before answered. "I uh, hmmm, I board my horse across the street at Sarah's house, and she told me it might be OK for us to use your driveway to turn our trailer around. Would it be OK, and would you mind moving your car?" Sure enough, she was very nice and came right out to move it. She did look at me a little strangely, but that's not the first time I've gotten a funny look from someone.

It took a little work to make the left turn out of the driveway, we had to go into 4-wheel drive to get the truck out of the ditch, but we made it. We parked on the side of the road in front of Sarah's and went to get Lola. I was so happy I hadn't left much at the barn. I just had a brush and some flyspray. Got Lola's halter on, and took a nice slow walk up the driveway. I let her stop to eat a little grass and kept things very slow and calm. I let her stop again just outside of the trailer to eat a couple of more bites of grass, and then I asked her to get in the trailer. She took a sniff and stepped right in! Wow! I was so proud of my girl!

We had a pleasant ride back to the barn. More chit chatting, and Lola happily munched her hay and stayed quiet. When we got to the new barn, Lola was very calm. The ride didn't seem to have made her nervous at all. She stepped off the trailer very calmly and took a look around. Jackie went to get a pasture ready for her, and I walked her around a little. We turned her out by herself, but right next to the other horses. She calmly said hello to them and started grazing. I think I'm going to like this new barn! It was so nice for me to see her out grazing. I can't wait until she has a chance to adjust a bit and she can get turned out with the other horses. She is going to be in heaven. The barn is airy and clean, her stall is HUGE. I think we are going to like it here!

I can't wait to get back to the barn tonight to go check on her, but I'm sure she is fine. My guess is that she will be in her stall, happily munching on some hay when I get up there tonight. I'll walk her around outside a bit, and maybe do a little bit of ground games in the ring and groom her. Sounds like a great night. I'm so excited I don't have to drive half an hour to go see her anymore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home